Saturday, January 17, 2009

Challenges

So... last night at 2:15 when it was approximately 6 degrees outside, my furnace stopped working. I found out because Violet was crying hard and I got up and noticed the cold. After nursing her back to sleep in my warm bed (oh, down comforter, how I love you) and listening for the heat to click on and not hearing it I started to get concerned. Once she was good and asleep I got up and checked. 60 degrees. Uh-oh.

My mother was out of town but I have a key to her house. I knew Violet and I couldn't stay in the house all night. It is old and not well-insulated and it was going to get cold fast. So... I started the car, grabbed a few things, bundled both of us up, and got us to Mimi's. Violet did very well, all things considered. She cried a little while I was getting her dressed but she talked contentedly in the car and went back to bed in her crib at Mimi's without too much fuss really.

I didn't really go back to sleep but I was thankful we were somewhere warm. I started to get upset that it was the weekend and my time to get a little sleep, but then I thought how much worse it would have been if it was a weekday and I had to teach the next day. I focused on how lucky we were. We had a warm place to go (a familiar place with a crib!) Violet is laid back and took it all in stride. It's the weekend and I didn't have to do anything the next day. There was a lot to be thankful for.

The funny old man who works on my furnace came this morning and unclogged something and it seems to be working fine now. It's taking it awhile to warm back up but it's happening and it didn't cost as much as it potentially could have. I am exhausted but feel good about handling things on my own and not freaking out. I feel like I am doing okay, or maybe even better than okay.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I'd say you are *totally* a righteous babe, Shelly!!!

Anonymous said...

Yikes that really blows! Thankfully everything worked out for the better! You're totally a righteous babe and strong one too, Violet is very very lucky!!!