Sunday, May 4, 2008

Pregnancy Nostalgia

I loved being pregnant. I remember in my childhood, thinking that pregnant women were so beautiful. I remember wanting to be pregnant all through my 20's but knowing the time and my situation wasn't right yet. I spent the year that we spent trying to concieve feeling terribly worried that I had waited too late and I was never going to get to experience pregnancy - a state I had idealized for the last 20 years. I finally got pregnant and was not disappointed. I felt beautiful and alive and when I finally started feeling Violet move inside of me it was the most wonderful feeling of my life. I loved being pregnant.

That said, I haven't had the feeling that some women describe of missing pregnancy or being sad it was over. I was so eager to meet my little girl and so glad to finally have her here that I never looked back. I've even had a little ambivalence about even needing to do it again - she has made my life so complete.

Until today when my friend Christy brought over the pictures she took way back in December. She came over one night and took over 100 pictures with her digital camera. It's been so long that I thought she'd forgotten. I've thought of it a time or two but have mostly just been busy and not worried about it.

The pictures are beautiful. I look blissful in them and that's what I was... blissful.



5 comments:

Timaree said...

Those are such beautiful photos, Shelly! You really do look blissful. I haven't gotten to congratulate you away from FF, but congrats. Your daughter is more beautiful by the day! :-)

Anonymous said...

Those photos are totally Adorable!!!

Emily said...

blissful indeed -- and I love the overalls photo particularly!

Cindy said...

Blissful is the right word. :) I loved being pregnant too... but unlike you, I'm ready to do it again. :) Although, the thought of the newborn stage again is scary.

Anonymous said...

SHelly! The pictures are PERFECT!!